Thursday, July 31, 2014

How to grind flax and/or chia seeds in a Vitamix





 

 
I came across yet another article  about pre-processed food stuff that we buy in the store not being as good from a nutritional standpoint for you as if we were to process it ourselves at home. This article was regarding ground flax seeds.
Since I use flax seeds all the time, usually to replace eggs in my baking; I figure I should find a better way.
Doing a little search on how to grind flax seeds at home it seems most people are using coffee grinders. That sounds fantastic, however, I don’t have a coffee grinder, and even if I did, I think I would be spending way too much time to grind the amount of flax and chia seeds my family of 5 can go through in a week or two. I figure there must be a way to do it right, without taking away so much of the convenience of grabbing a container of already ground flax seeds when the desire to bake something arises.
Then, I thought about trying it in the blender, just to see.  Well it worked fantastic!  I’m not sure if it would work in any old blender, I used my Vitamix with the dry blade container. I thought the dry blade container would have a better chance of giving me ground seeds instead of seed butter than the regular container. 
Here's what I did.
Put about 2 cups of flax or chia seeds or a combination of the two into your dry blade container. Then blend until finely ground. Be careful not to over process, it could start turning into a butter and you don't want that. Once it's done transfer the freshly ground flax seeds to a glass jar with lid and store in your refrigerator. Use in all your recipes that call for ground flax seeds.  :)
 

 
 

No comments

Post a Comment

© Making It Home In The South
Maira Gall