Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Memorial Day and recipe for Avo-Slaw dressing




 
Yesterday was Memorial Day, and while I forgot to take pictures, we had a fantastic day here at home. We started the day off doing some landscaping work in the backyard, and we also dug up and potted some plants for the deck. While we were doing this I found a neat copper water feature that had been hidden behind some bushes from the previous owner. It needs a little repair, so you may see a post about this sometime in the future.
After that we were all pretty dirty and hot, so we rinsed off, put our swimsuits on and jumped in the pool for a bit and played a little pool volleyball with beach balls. For some afternoon refreshment I made us some delicious chocolate banana peanut butter shakes. These are a favorite at our house. I used this recipe from Megan over at Detoxinista.com.  
Late afternoon the girls watched a movie, while I took a hard earned nap on the couch. When I woke up it was time to get dinner going. I kept it pretty simple. I made these Gluten/egg/dairy free Black bean burgers from LivingWithout.com topped with all the fixings plus some avocado and we had a huge bowl of watermelon to go with it. For dessert, Hubby and the kids had some yummy cheesecake brownies made by his sister and her boyfriend. I didn’t partake; I was too full of watermelon! Later I did have one of the mixed fruit Popsicles I made, and it was a perfect ending to my evening.

 

Now for the real post….

For lunch I’ve been addicted to this super yummy and healthy avocado coleslaw I have been making. The inspiration came from my MIL. She made coleslaw with avocado mashed up in it for my husband’s grandmother’s birthday party, and I LOVED it, so I created this healthier version so I could eat it as often as I like (everyday lately). I usually end up sharing with Baby J, because he is just as addicted to it as I am. Just mix up a batch of the dressing and the slaw of your choice and whatever other veggies you feel like.  Then eat it immediately. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

 

Avo-Slaw Dressing


(Raw, vegan, oil free)
 

Ingredients:

4 oz or 1 small ripe avocado

1/8 cup of apple cider vinegar

¼ tsp of Himalayan Sea salt

1/8 tsp Ground black pepper
 

 

Directions:

Peel avocado and discard the seed. Place your Avocado meat in a bowl, then add the remaining ingredients. Mash until everything is well incorporated and you no longer see liquid.
 
 
Now mix with some thinly sliced cabbage or broccoli slaw and whatever other veggies you enjoy eating raw.
 
*** My favorite add-in veggies are grape tomatoes, green onions and mushrooms. Sometimes I even add leftover cooked veggies from the night before. It’s a delicious way to avoid waste.
 

Enjoy!

 
 

 





No comments

Post a Comment

© Making It Home In The South
Maira Gall